Sunday, October 2, 2016

Hallandale Edges Jackson

     It was a scoring fest as the Hallandale Chargers got by the Jackson Generals 40-36 on Saturday night in a District 5A-16 clash. There were four lead changes during the second half of the contest.
     In the first quarter, Chargers defensive back Treyunn Lane made a 43-yard interception and returned it to the Generals 37-yard line. They struck on the first play as quarterback Legend Moore connected a pass up the middle to wide receiver Julian Holmes for the score at 5:57 to make it 6-0.
     The Chargers fumbled on their next drive and the Generals took a 7-6 lead when defensive lineman Davontae McCrae was brought in to plunge into the end zone from four yards out with 1:14 left in the first.
     Hallandale(3-2, 2-0) regained the lead 12-7 on the first play of the second quarter as Moore found Holmes again on the right side for a 36-yard touchdown. The Chargers extended their margin to 20-7 as wide receiver Amari Johnson caught a 43-yard pass at 7:45.
     Jackson(1-4, 0-2) closed the deficit to 20-15 on two plays late in the first half. Quarterback Javas Jackson spotted wide receiver Seven Fleurimond on the left sideline for a 30-yard scoring play at 5:37. Linebacker Lacedick Brunson sacked Moore in the end zone for a safety with 1:31 left in the quarter.
     The Generals tried to fake a punt from their own 20-yard line and failed on their first possession of the second half.  The Chargers capitalized on it as Moore rushed down the right side for a score from 14 yards away at 9:04 making it 26-15.
     It took just one minute for Jackson to bounce back with 40-yard touchdown pass from Jackson to wide receiver Davon Washington on the right sideline. Moore fumbled the ball away on the Chargers next drive and the Generals regained the lead 29-26 at 5:17 on a Brunson 28-yard fumble return.
     Anthony Floyd fumbled on the punt return and Deimon Santos brought it back 25 yards for a Hallandale touchdown to give them a 32-29 lead with 3:25 remaining in third.
     Early in the fourth quarter, Generals running back Keiron Broussard dashed in from 12 yards out at 10:11 as Jackson got up 36-32. Hallandale later got the ball to the Generals one-yard line for a first down and was unable to punch it in for a score.
     Four plays later, Javas Jackson decided to run out the back of the end zone, take for safety and stay ahead 36-34 with 3:37 to go. The strategy backfired as Hallandale got the final score and made it 40-36 when Moore sneaked up the middle on a one-yard touchdown run with 1:09 left.

No comments:

Post a Comment